On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 19:05:34 -0400 Max Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> So does one have to super insulate the water pipes to make the thermal
> siphon effective?

No, but ordinary pipe insulation does help.

We had such an arrangement in our last house in Colorado Springs.

The kitchen was above the utility room in the basement. The line from the
hot water tank was insulated and then at the kitchen faucet a tee enabled
another copper line to go back to the hot water heater's drain valve
(which had been removed and a tee inserted to allow both the drain valve
and the returning copper line).

The heat loss from the bare copper return pipe slightly cooled down the
water in it making its density slightly greater than the water in the
insulated supply pipe, thus causing the thermally-induced circulation.

Craig