just use the putty patch. At least until Floyd scraps his td to provide you a tank.

70s datSUN peekups were notorious for leaking gas tanks.   I patched mine with Fruehauf aluminum, sheet metal screws and a generous dosage of some sealant in a caulking tube.  (sorry, I forgot what it was.   It held for years, probably until the truck was crushed.  they rusted above the seam, and mine was rusted out 18-24 inches, and at places inch size holes.