SWMBA thinks along those lines.  New cars are “more reliable” so cost less to
keep on the road.

Steaming Pile

She has not taken the thing she drives to the shop for other than oil changes
in the past six years and 50k miles.  Tossing $20k + paying it off all that
time and no visit to keep it running right?

She gets the jeep from her co-worker who claims it had all dealer service.  The
thing comes with close to 140k miles and gets no service these past four years.
 Now she wants to send it to the crusher, as it is falling apart from lack of
service.  The solution she came up with was to spend $10k to get a teenaged car
with 100k on the clock last autumn.  This spring she changes her tune to
needing something with less than a decade of wear and maybe $18k.  Which has
changed to five years old, under 50k miles and maybe $25k this past month.
This week the car has to be same new, but under 30k miles and the price has
jumped to around $30k.  Then add the $2500 to ship it up from teh lower 48.

All I wanted was to be allowed to drive my ’82 SD, bring up my tools and spend
enough to fix the OM617.

clay