Adverse possession is a real thing here, however, it literally takes years to
pull it off. Back when the economy was in the tank there were a lot of really
shady characters who were going around and renting out foreclosed properties
they had no interest (ownership) in, and the renters wouldn’t find out until
weeks or months later when the bank showed up and kicked them out. Meantime the
person who claimed to own the property that was collecting rent would
disappear, or their contact information was discovered to be bogus.

We bailed on a bank owned property when we first came down here when a woman
the owner was renting to on a handshake month-to-month deal tried to hold us up
for $5k. Lawyered up and said if we wanted to move into the property when we
closed we would have to give her five grand to move out.

Needless to say we walked away from that one and got our escrow check from the
title company the next day.

Laws in Florida favor the renter, and people have figured out how to use it to
their advantage.

-D