If he's not hauling "for hire" I don't think DOT rules apply. Not much
that can be done except keep a good distance away.

Same reason that any dufus with an ordinary driving license can rent a
26 foot moving truck and trailer a car behind it with no other training
or certification required.

Resulting in stuff like this.....

https://preview.redd.it/cf4kboip3ow31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=59ef7579adc3bdce6140db2345cc23d7d89e3bd3