Which is why they came up with Carplay and Android Auto about five years ago.
I tried the AA thing with an inactive phone, made up a burner Goolag account,
downloaded a bunch of offline maps, and...
AA wouldn't let me type in an address, you're supposed to talk to it.
But you can't talk to it without an active data connection.
So the only way to enter a destination is to unhook it from the car and type
it.

Oh, well, I found out I like Apple Maps slightly better anyway, but I do wish
Apple Maps would display the current speed like every other GPS I've ever used.

I should give some other maps a try on my offline Android phone.
Like Here We Go and TomTom.

One oddity I noticed.
When I plug a phone in and enable Android Auto, it disconnects the car from
whatever I'm currently connected to, turns on the Bluetooth in the phone I just
cable connected, and establishes a BT link with the plugged in phone.
Conversely, when I plug in my iPhone, it disconnects the iPhone from BT and
uses the cable instead. But I can't seem to make BT calls on the Android when
the iPhone is plugged in.
Mitch.