So I mentioned the former owner of our new house who allegedly offed himself in
Cyprus. We knew this guy well, and there was no way he was suicidal. While I
wait for the water heater to drain, here’s a Wikipedia page on his demise to
start with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_K._Mooney
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_K._Mooney>

Story on Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyprus-diplomat-body/u-s-diplomat-found-dead-in-cyprus-idUSL0275930520070702

<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyprus-diplomat-body/u-s-diplomat-found-dead-in-cyprus-idUSL0275930520070702>

Interesting insight:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2007/7/6/354552/-
<https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2007/7/6/354552/->

Read and discuss. I’ll fill in any gaps if there are questions. As additional
background, note that it is not mentioned that the location of his death was in
a very rural location not far from a Five Eyes listening post run by the Brits
with assistance from us. It’s also an area where there is a great deal of
smuggling and trafficking due to the division of Cyprus and the geography.
There are also reports of a letter left by him that embassy personnel saw but
did not provide to his family. If you do some serious digging you can find
references to this in some foreign service forums.

-D