> Bob wrote:

> In Flagstaff they lower a pinecone from an old hotel balcony. In
> Prescott, the lower a cowboy boot from a flagpole on a bar’s
> roof. A flip-flop at the redneck Riviera seems reasonable.

All of which are distortions of a time ball, a time reference for
ship navigators.

In the days of chronometer as the means of figuring longitude -
but before the days of radio, the major shipping ports would have
a structure with a tower and a ball that could drop.  This was to
allow the ships within sight to synchronize their chronometers to
reference time before departing.

The ball would be raise 5 min before the time mark, and on the
time mark it would be dropped.  Not lowered slowly - but the
usually 10 m/s^2 of gravity.  The beginning of the ball moving was
the reference point in time.  12:00 and 13:00 were both common time
marks, mostly depending on the country.

As radios became prevalent, the need for time balls passed.

There!  I suspect most of you have now learned something new this
year.