Wow, that is pretty nice.  Could probably buy that kind of stuff and haul it up here and sell it.

--FT

On 1/26/20 7:27 AM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
Yeah, a lot of that.

It’s amazing to me how much (old) furniture comes up on the local FB
marketplace. I realize it’s just a sign of the (millennial) times, but there’s
simply no demand for these big dining room sets with big tables with leaves,
china cabinets, sideboards, etc., etc. I’ve seen some really nice stuff go for
peanuts.

I picked up a sideboard (think big cabinet that you put your large service
dishes and stuff in) made by Baker Furniture a couple of months ago. It’s a
stunning piece made of solid hardwoods like mahogany and with all sorts of
beautiful marquetry (veneer) work. Baker is owned by Kohler (bet you didn’t
know that!) and produces some of the finest handmade furniture there is.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/baker-furniture-historic-charleston-480159397
<https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/baker-furniture-historic-charleston-480159397>

This was a $10,000 piece of furniture when it was new. They still command a
chunk of change when they show up on auction.

I paid $220 for mine after it had been on FB marketplace for nearly a month
with no takers. Score!

-D

On Jan 25, 2020, at 8:09 PM, Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes