Dan,
My view might be different as I grew up in the country and somewhat close to
"smaller" big cities (no NY or LA).  It was my experience that if you didn't
show by 5:00PM you were out of luck.  In the 60's grocery and some other
businesses started staying open to 6, 7, 8, and finally 9:00PM into the 70's.
I'm sure this might also have differed by size of city and type of business.
However, I always thought that those times were more to fit the TV show plot
than to fit reality.
Just my thoughts...
Best Wishes,
Roger