<<Let me get this straight. You ordered the car, built to your needs and
desires. You wanted an interior that was available for that model, combined
with
an exterior that was available for that model, and the computer wouldn't allow
the dealer to process the order that way?
If I were the would-be customer, that would be a NO SALE until the dealer got
on the phone with HQ and found a way to place the order the way I wanted it.>>

Dream on. MBUSA did not want to be bothered with too many choices. A computer
doesn't come into it. As far as lying down on the floor, holding my breath
and kicking my heels, it won't work. Take it or leave it.

I think things have changed in the last five years. First, there is the MB
worldwide quality scandal which has torpedoed sales numbers and cut sales comm
issions. Second, there are now a helluva lot of good cars fishing in MB's
fishing hole.

So now, MB is putting that behind them by bringing out new models such as the
S-Class and the revising the E-Class to tide them over until the new E
arrives in '09. The all-new C is due early next year along with the G alongside
the
old G for the well heeled traditionalists. And the M is new, of course.

And it looks like diesel power will be coming for all of them, most likely
BlueTec. The revised E (due out this month) offers four diesels in Europe
including the new 4.0 TT V-8. My copy of Auto motor und Sport arrived today
with a
big atricle on the revised E and the AMG 6.3 version of the CLK and others.
And, the name Hammer is coming   back with two AMG V-8s, one with more than
600HP
and nearly 500 ft lbs torque.

RLE