Excalibur cars were built in Milwaukee by Brooks Stevens.  They were modeled on the Mercedes Benz SS and SSK, thus the Mercedes reference.   Engine/drive train was Detriot big iron.  Think fiberglass kit car, but enlarged and factory built.

http://www.excaliburclassics.com

After Mr. Stevens croaked, the Excalibur car company croaked too. Sad!   When I first saw a picture of an Excalibur, I wanted one.   That was before I had seen a prewar Mercedes Benz.   Once I saw the real thing, I lost interest in the Excalibur.   They were sold to actors and overpaid athletes mostly.   You were most likely to see one in LA, NYC or MIami, followed by Dallas and lost wages.

Craig via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 26, 2020 at 4:19 PM
On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 11:55:58 -0500 Floyd Thursby via Mercedes

So what is a 1966 Mercedes-Benz Excalibur? I don't recall they had any
models by that name ...

Craig