In response to the ongoing COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak internationally and in the U.S., Mayo Clinic remains committed to the continued safety of our patients, staff, and community members.

Mayo Clinic’s response to COVID-19 includes activating a multidisciplinary team of world experts in infectious diseases and Mayo leaders who will continuously monitor the situation, meet with state and federal emergency agencies, and oversee prevention and control actions taken by Mayo Clinic.

We are also committed to providing you with trusted information on COVID-19, including these sources:

 * *Latest updates from Mayo Clinic experts.* Visit Mayo Clinic News
   Network

<https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/tag/covid-19/?elqTrackId=393c6cdfa07444f8906272bc1e5f3e8c&elq=737a51f09bc44573a368204fd10894da&elqaid=1332&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=631>
   for a stream of articles updated in real time as circumstances and
   guidance from public health agencies change.

 * *Mayo Clinic’s real-time test for COVID-19.* Mayo Clinic
   Laboratories has developed a test that can detect the SARS-CoV-2
   (the cause of COVID-19) in clinical samples. The test has been fully
   validated, and data will be submitted to the Food and Drug
   Administration for review and emergency use authorization. More
   information is available on the Mayo Clinic News Network

<https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-develops-test-to-detect-covid-19-infection/?elqTrackId=80876b10bc8841738191edb57f18de02&elq=737a51f09bc44573a368204fd10894da&elqaid=1332&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=631>
   and the Star Tribune

<http://www.startribune.com/mayo-clinic-rolls-out-covid-19-test/568741482/?elqTrackId=2ed3e542893c425e850d7c995dfe5fdc&elq=737a51f09bc44573a368204fd10894da&elqaid=1332&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=631>.

 * *Advancing a COVID-19 vaccine.* Mayo researchers in infectious
   diseases are making significant progress to address emerging
   pathogens including COVID-19 and related viruses. As one example,
   Mayo experts are developing a vaccine using gene therapy technology
   in a novel potent vaccine platform. The same innovative technology
   can be successfully applied for vaccination against other dangerous
   microorganisms such as influenza, HIV, Ebola, Zika, and /Clostridium
   difficile/. Our active research in emerging pathogens also lays the
   foundation for standard operating processes to address future
   pandemics.

 * *Offering drive-through specimen collection for pre-screened
   patients in Rochester.* Mayo Clinic staff will collect the
   specimens, using appropriate precautions, and send them to the
   Minnesota Department of Health for analysis. This process reduces
   the need for other critically constrained resources. Patients are
   required to have a phone screening first to determine if testing is
   appropriate. More information is available on the Mayo Clinic News
   Network

<https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-offers-pre-screened-patients-drive-through-specimen-collection-for-covid-19-testing/?elqTrackId=b2f1b3c5ac214e46a4fff5de58984e2b&elq=737a51f09bc44573a368204fd10894da&elqaid=1332&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=631>.

Mayo Clinic is currently following CDC guidelines <https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html?elqTrackId=e1d9b1147b564824ad2cd7f7d748da73&elq=737a51f09bc44573a368204fd10894da&elqaid=1332&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=631> for patient travel and taking appropriate precautions to delay the appointments of visitors from affected areas (those countries deemed “Level 3” and “Level 2” in CDC’s risk assessment). Appointment access for patients from other areas has not changed, but safety and screening procedures have been put in place to identify anyone showing symptoms of possible infection.

Your health is our primary concern. As the global leader in health care, we are leveraging every resource at our disposal to respond to this ever-changing situation. The most vital thing people can do is remain informed and follow safety and prevention guidelines.

Together, we will address this challenge, and Mayo Clinic will remain a place of hope and healing for our patients.

Thank you for your continued trust in Mayo Clinic,

Evanthia Galanis, M.D.
Executive Dean for Development
Mayo Clinic