Curley, I've got three of these cars, '87 with OM603 and two '95's with
OM606NA.  None of them need the aux fan running in the summer heat, unless
the AC is running or I'm carrying a big load or running fast on the highway
up hill and then suddenly slow down.

Just driving around town at 75 deg F, with no AC running, the car should
not need the aux fans running.

I disagree, you've got evidence that the t-stat is failed.  They can fail
right out of the box!

In your place, I would remove the front bumper and the fan shroud and clean
out the leaves and bugs between shroud and condenser, pull the radiator and
clean between radiator and condenser, spray your garden hose through both
while you have it all apart, and then pull the t-stat and check it for
function.

Here are the specs from MB:

OM601, 602.91, 603.91: begin opening @ 85 +/-2 deg C, minimum stroke 8mm @
94 deg C

If the AC refrigerant has leaked down, then only the high speed function of
the aux fans will work.
Max
Charleston SC