David Brodbeck wrote:
George Larribeau wrote:
Are there any tricks to refilling it with coolant air bubbles and the like?

I've always heard that the best way is to fill it through the top radiator hose. The idea is to minimize the amount of air in the head.

What kind of water would one mix with the MB antifreeze? In the past I have
been a believer in distilled (demonized if available) but heard otherwise.

Distilled is best, but unless your tap water is very "hard" it's probably perfectly adequate.

Distilled water is NOT best, high quality drinking water - water that's not too hard - is best. That's water that measures below about 120 ppm or 7 grains (measure of particulate). With Mercedes approved anti-freeze changed every couple of years, distilled water IS preferable to the hard water that is available in more half the water taps in the US. If you're going to BUY water, get the drinking water from the supermarket rather than the distilled water. It is MUCH less reactive and although the buffers in the anti-freeze WILL neutralize the reactivity of distilled water, it shortens the life of the anti-freeze.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)