Looks pretty cool.  Whether it will work and at what cost remains to be
seen.

NUCLEAR
Nation's first advanced reactor proposal heads to NRC

Wednesday, March 18, 2020
[image: Oklo nuclear powerhouse rendering. Photo credit: Gensler/Oklo Inc.]

A rendering of Oklo Inc.'s Aurora powerhouse at night. Gensler/Oklo Inc.

A Silicon Valley-based company yesterday submitted the nation's first
proposal for an advanced reactor for federal review — a micro-sized plant
unlike the traditional larger light water units that currently dot the
country.

Oklo Inc. announced its submission of the first combined license
application for an advanced reactor to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission,
kicking off what's likely to be a yearslong licensing effort for its
1.5-megawatt advanced fission power system design.

The application marks the first advanced reactor license application
submitted to the NRC with full private funding backing for a commercial
project.

"We are excited to show that an application for a fundamentally different
fission technology can meet and exceed existing regulations while not being
impeded by guidance based on nuclear plants of decades ago," said Caroline
Cochran, chief operating officer and co-founder of Oklo, in a statement.

The company since 2016 had been in pre-application discussions with the
NRC, where it has helped inform the commission as it prepares new licensing
pathways for the review of an nontraditional nuclear technology.

Even with that preparation, an official NRC review of the license submittal
has been delayed due to the government's response to the spreading
coronavirus.

A meeting originally scheduled for March 31 for the commission staff to
conduct an acceptance check for the Oklo application has been postponed,
the NRC announced yesterday.

"We've postponed a March 31 meeting that, once we reschedule it, will help
the staff ensure it has all the information it needs to decide whether the
application is complete enough for a full review," said NRC spokesman Scott
Burnell. "We'll keep everyone informed on when we make the application
available on our website, and when we reach a decision on a full review."

Much of the NRC's current regulatory review processes covers light-water
reactors — the basis of much of the existing nuclear fleet. But a wave of
expected advanced reactor designs has the commission rethinking how it
approaches those reviews.

The Department of Energy has been at the forefront of providing federal
resources and help to shepherd those technologies as they look to move to
deployment.

"This is BIG NEWS for the industry," DOE Assistant Secretary for Nuclear
Energy Rita Baranwal tweeted. "Congrats to Oklo. Its microreactor design is
the first non-light water advanced reactor to enter the NRC review process,
which will help pave the way for future developers.

"Advanced nuclear is happening in the US!" she added.

Oklo said its technology is capable of producing "1.5MW of electric power
and during its operation can save 1,000,000 tons of carbon emissions over
the diesel generator alternative." The design is capable of producing heat
through an advanced fuel, which is then converted into electricity.

That operation life would last decades without having to refuel, with the
capabilities of using nuclear waste as its fuel stock.

The design is one of many advanced reactor concepts expected over the next
decade as the nuclear industry looks to transition to more flexible
technologies in its next generation of reactors.

"The 2020s will advance these new nuclear technologies from design concepts
to reality, ushering in a wave of nuclear innovation that will change how
we power our future while mitigating against a changing climate," said
Nuclear Energy Institute President and CEO Maria Korsnick on Oklo's
announcement