Propane. No natural gas close by - at least not any closer than about two
streets away, unfortunately.

Kohler. 24RCL, 24kW Toyota industrial engine powered water cooled 1800 RPM set.
Set on a concrete pad with a sound attenuated enclosure. 200 amp automatic
transfer switch. Everything in the house will be powered by this.

No Generac. Had I done an air cooled set, I would have considered Generac, but
I want an 1800 rpm water cooled unit as they’re far quieter, have lower fuel
consumption per kW, and last a lot longer. They are more expensive, easily
30%-40% more than air cooled. Air cooled is pretty much anything below 22kW and
runs at 3600 rpm. Loud, sucks fuel and has much higher maintenance costs and
requirements. Longevity is far less as well.

Now I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to set up a fuel supply. Might end
up with a 500 gallon LP tank in the front yard and some directional drilling
done to get the line under the driveway and around the back of the house. The
alternative is a couple of 120 gallon tanks in the back yard, but with this
unit using 4 gallons per hour at full load that doesn’t provide a very long run
time in the event of an extended outage. Actual consumption will probably be
more like 1-1/2 to 2 gallons per hour, but even then that only gives me roughly
four days of run time if the tanks were full (assume 80% capacity when their
full, or around 100 gallons.)

-D