Good lord I can't imagine people spending money at a vet on a cat.  There are so many cats out there if it kicks off just go get another cat.

On 4/2/2020 7:24 PM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
I’ve mentioned that Kitty has hypothyroidism, a common malady for cats as they
age, and that we were going to have her treated using radioactive iodine-131,1.
Part of preparing for the treatment is to have bloodwork done to assess the
level of thyroid hormones, which is also done at least annually just to get
levels and assess their drug treatment and dosage if that’s being done.

I had to go into work on Monday on short notice, so the wife takes Kitty to the
vet. Wife has not takes an animal to the vet in easily 10 years, if that. Kitty
goes with me every time, she’s calm, doesn’t vocalize, etc., etc. This no doubt
stressed her. The vet isn’t allowing people into the building, so it’s like a
drive up/drop off thing and the doctor calls you once they see the animal and
discusses treatment, tests and so forth. Even more stressful.

So no call for a good 20 minutes, maybe more. Wife is wondering what’s up. Get
a call from vet, daughter of our original vet who has since retired and sold
off his practice. She says Kitty has had a “cardiac event” while they were
trying to draw blood. Said she cried out and slumped over. Doesn’t think Kitty
will see lunch time. They get a line in her and are putting fluids into her and
giving her oxygen. Wife is freaking out.

Vet says they want to keep her over night. Nope. If she’s stressed and close to
crossing the rainbow bridge, we don’t want it happening in a kennel in the back
of the vet’s office. Vet says she wants to keep her until at least lunch time,
when she’ll call us and give us an update.

I get home, wife is all worked up, understandably. Vet calls. Kitty is resting
quietly and responsive. I’m coming to get her.

I get Kitty home and she’s clearly out of sorts. We walk around the house and
refamiliarize, despite her being a little wobbly. Normal behavior after being
out of the house. She gets a tin of her favorite turkey and gravy and goes to
sleep in her favorite place on the couch.

Vet calls later in the day and wants to know if she’s OK. Tells me she probably
won’t make it to the next day.

She’s sitting on my desk in front of my keyboard right now, asleep. Faced Death
and kicked it’s ass. She’s definitely not 100%, but close. Based on behaviors
we’ve seen in other cats we’ve owned it’s likely she suffered some sort of mild
stroke from the stress. Her vocalizations have changed, which is weird. She
sometimes sits and stares, like she’s forgotten why she was there. She’s still
doing all of her daily stuff, like walking around the pool with me every
morning and taking a few drinks from it.

So it’s unlikely we’ll mess with the nuclear stuff. We’ll let Nature take it’s
course until she’s in pain or can’t function comfortably then we’ll help her
go. You hate like heck to lose a pet, but when I think about it I also think
about when the wife rescued her 16+ years ago from the side of the road in a
thunderstorm, all 8 ounces of her. Vet said she probably wouldn’t make it to
the next day then, but like now, she’s not going to let someone dictate when
she goes, dang it.

-D/King Kitty