I have heard it said that it is normal for these diesels to kick and crack
and so forth when started cold. That is, only for several seconds, before
smoothing out. Is this true?

I can say that mine does. But it is a bit troubling to me, some of the
sounds it comes up with. Does not sound healthy. It misses, and shakes and
makes the occasional sharper knocking sound (what I'm calling cracking). I
go ahead and hold the throttle for several seconds just high enough to get
it to idle more smoothly. Then all is normal and smooth and happy sounding.

Somebody put my protective mind at ease.

Brian
83 240D