I just measured the voltage on the power supply connector for our HP 2730
Elitebook and found the center pin also measures 19V to the outer sleeve. I
can't get the probes in to measure the center pin vs the inner sleeve.
YMMV

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:57 PM Craig via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> I have been using our HP 8460P Elitebook laptop to connect to church and
> other meetings.
>
> Yesterday I noticed the laptop was running on battery when I had the
> power supply's DC cord plugged into the laptop. I measured the voltage at
> the DC power plug and found the power supply was indeed outputting the 19
> VDC it was supposed to.
>
> I had originally thought the slender center pin was the power connection,
> but I found there is an inner cylinderical ring which actually carries
> the power along with the cylinderial ring on the outside of the plug.
>
> Does anyone know what the slender center pin does?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Craig

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!