Lol, you need to read Pikety's books.

Seems that economists mostly sit around doing imaginary "mathematics" making up
meaningless equations that prove whatever they want to prove.

Not news to me, I figured that out decades ago when our faculty sponsor for the
sailing club while I was in graduate school was an econ professor and getting
disgusted with the subject.

Airy fairy bullshit is what I would call most of it.

When the currency is pegged to a physical object (like gold) increases in
production, harvest, efficiency, or mining all result in lower prices as the
amount of gold is more or less fixed, and the available currency is infelxible.
 One of the major causes of the Depression was the gold standard -- as
industrial production ramped up in the 20's -- one of the golden ages of
efficiency increases and productivity increase per worker hour (mostly due to
automation) -- and the US had some really nice crop years, the amount of goods
increased rapidly at a time when gold mining was yeilding very little gold.  If
you had twice as much wheat this year as last, it can only cost half as much
per bushel if there is no more gold.

Add in the collapse of the embargo on Russian wheat when the Whites lost the
civil war and the Reds took over and the consequent collapse of the European
wheat market for American wheat, and prices plummeted.

The flip side of that equation, to my mind, is that when you inflate your way
out of massive debt, as the Western world has been doing since the 1960s,
prices inevitably must rise as the value of the floating currency declines --
and vast "fortunes" made by high speed stock trading and real estate
speculation decrease the value of the currency (also known as inflation).