>That just proves my point.  The car may be unreliable, but a big part of
his
>problem is incompetent dealer service.
>
>Alex Chamberlain
>'87 300D Turbo
>'93 Isuzu Trooper

Alex,
I own more than one of both the 750iL and the 600SEL and/or S600.

And neither car is as bad as the criers would make anyone believe.

Of course they have more problems than a similar car with fewer components,
simply due to the fact that there are twice as many components to fail. But
more importantly, it is due to the fact that people tend to think that
German cars are "indestructible"! So they drive them into the ground without
enough maintenance or none at all! Others are stuck with incompetent
mechanics who could not work on these cars but do not have the decency to
admit it.

I drive some of these cars in climates that top 120 degrees on regular basis
and they do just fine, always!

The people who designed these cars did not foresee the incompetence of some
of the people who claim to be mechanics in the US!
In Germany for instance, mechanics are very disciplined and strict in how
they go about performing their art, hence cars over there keep on running
almost forever.

In spite of Germany's smaller size (compared to the US) you'll find these
cars with astonishing mileage on their odometers and I doubt those owners
keep pouring money into them if they were half as unreliable as one is led
to believe.

In my mind, it is a matter of correct maintenance by competent people!

Omar.