If you are going to have the roof repainted, you may as well have them do the bumper cover at the same time.

RB

On 28/04/2020 10:17 AM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
The $1500 1995 E420 arrived yesterday morning from Columbus OH about 9:30. No
surprises for the most part.

I forgot how much fun these cars are. Really. The W124 has that “bank vault”
feeling when you close the door, and the interior, while spartan, is
comfortable yet “tight”. Engine idles smoothly, could easily pass the champagne
glass test. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING, works on this car. If there was a
complaint I would say that the sunroof doesn’t open all the way, but that’s
clearly due to a need for a good greasing. Suspension is tight, there’s no
wandering, swaying and the steering tracks straight and true.

The good:

Everything works
113,000 miles on the clock
All maintenance up to date
Nearly new (snow) tires on the car, spare set of wheels with old Michelins
Suspension rubber appears to be tight
No road or drivetrain noises
Inside of valve covers are CLEAN

The bad, or not so bad:

Paint on roof is toast. Clear coat is a crackle finish. Good part is that this
is limited to the roof, so it would be easy to fix. Rest of the paint is good.
Driver’s seat bottom is torn
One rear headrest is split
Front bumper cover is missing under right corner. Gone.
ASR and ABS lights are on. SDS revealed a bad idle position switch, which is on
order
Brake booster leaks internally
Both air intake hoses are toast
Broken right front sway bar bracket
Coolant reservoir level switch is bad
Trunk lid stops are gone
Fuse box lid has one hook broken off
Retainer mounts on the tops of the headlights are broken or missing
Blower motor regulator needs to be replaced, only runs on low speed
Cover for seat heater fuses is missing

So yes, it’s not perfect and there are some minor repairs needed, but the
seller made these all known so they’re not a surprise. I’ve ordered all of the
parts necessary for the repairs so as those trickle in I’ll be covering the
jobs as I do them. Big ones will be the brake booster and the blower motor
regulator. All the rest are little rinky-dink ones I can do as the parts show
up. I ordered a new lock cylinder, too, as the keys I have are both pretty
worn. Might as well replace the lock cylinder and get a new key out of the deal
since I would order a new key anyway.

I’ll drive it with the snow tires as they’re literally new. No need to drop
serious coin for new skins when these will do the job, they’ll just wear out
quicker. I got a new front bumper cover for under $150 shipped, so I’ll need to
rattle can that along with the bumper strip, since it’s still black (should be
bumper color on this model year).

It may take some time to get the paperwork sorted since I’ve got to do
everything with the tax collector (they do all the DMV stuff in FL) through the
mail. I could swap a valid plate from one of my other cars and drive it without
an issue, I’m sure, but it would be nice to be legal.

More fun as it takes place! First parts order is probably due on Thursday, so
that’s when the fun really starts!

-D