Yeah you put the mechanical 603 pump onto the 606. I have that motor in my
87 wagon. Works great. If you get greedy with element sizes then they get a
bit smoky off idle.

The EDC pump on the turbo 606 is pretty basic but it is electronic to some
degree.  If you put a bigger turbo and intercooler on a 606 in a 99 w210
and then put bigger elements in the pump and leave the electronics intact
and switch out the maf sensor for higher boost, you get really nice smoke
free pump control and nice performance.

They are getting pretty good at hacking the ecus for the 613 and 648
though. That is what all the Europeans are doing. Hard to make really big
power with it as the head does not flow as much air as the 606. So you need
more boost etc. But it has pretty good power at baseline. I have a 648 in a
123 wagon but havent driven it much yet. Something to look forward to I
guess.