> Floyd wrote:

> I have boxes and boxes of old family photos.  I bought a Brother
> ADS 2700W scanner I am going to use to scan these photos.  I
> need some sort of management app where I can put in a
> descriptor, names/places, years, etc. to set up some sort of
> searchable database of all these pics, then share the
> database/photos somehow/where for the extended family to access.

I would plead that you get a solution that will put the info into
the EXIF, IPTC, and or XMP.  These are "tags" that stick the
information into the same file as the image itself.

An external database will allow searching the photo's data a lot
faster than having it dig through the tags in the images - but
using the tags is like writing on the back of the photo.  Unless
it is removed, that info is stuck with the photo even if you make
copies, share with others, etc.  20 years from now, so long as a
jpeg can still be opened, that info will still be with it.  Nearly
all photo tools today honor the tags, unlike even a few years ago.

You made no mention of the OS.  I have no suggestions for MSWin or
Mac.  Digikam has been the one I find I most recommend.  But even
with that one there is a menu setting for "store the info in the
image tags" and it is off by default.

Finally, if you use an on-line photo archive, be respectful of the
privacy of (especially still living) people.  Some/many/all of the
online methods will make use of facial recognition and other
processes that might be considered invasive by some people.  Once
the information is "out", there is no way to ever get it back "in".