On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 12:46:21 -0700 Greg Fiorentino via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I started with computers in '76 using a TTY keyboard to access gummint
> computers. Later, running CPM, I was able to see the evolution using
> some of the TTY codes for editing etc. For some reason I was never able
> to get interested in the games. I was too hooked on the productivity
> aspects of computers.

My first use of a computer was in 1967 at Caltech. We used modified IBM
Selectric typewriters scattered across campus and connected to the
mainframe in the computation building. We programmed in a simple
adaptation of Fortran called Citran, which was easy and quick to learn
and easy to use (now why can't all computer languages be like that!). The
mainframe really drove those typewriters! It was interesting to watch the
ball jump all around to do the output typing. Unfortunately, the
Selectric's mechanicals were not up to the constant pounding and the
uptime was somewhat low.

That was followed up in 1968 at Hughes Aircraft in Culver City,
California, by my use of a teletype connected to a mainframe in downtown
Los Angeles to write BASIC programs. (In my student house at Caltech, I
used a teletype driven by the contacts of a sensitive relay which was