But it seems he only unhooked the driver side, because the pass. side
still locks itself against my wishes; and when I unlock it with the key,
then go to open the door, it locks itself. (pass. side only now).

It's not really unhooked all the way yet.  Better would be to actually
fix the central locking system, you will be surprised how nice it is
to actually have it working.  It's usually fairly cheap to fix, but
time-consuming to chase down the leaks.  Once it's working it's fairly
easy to put keyless entry in too.

Surprises me to hear that the trunk is hooked into vacuum. It is a
wierd-acting lock - I have to turn the key ccw, then push in, then the trunk
lid can be lifted. I thought that when I first got the thing, the trunk
would not automatically lock, but could be locked by key when desired. Now
it always locks and requires a key every time. Hmm.

Something's wrong, the vacuum system is still attempting to lock
the trunk, even when maybe it shouldn't.  You are fighting it, in
other words, just like with the passenger door, so of course you
aren't happy.  The system, when it's working, works _extremely_ well.

Anyway, what about the locking gas cap question? (since my fuel door won't
lock)

Probably there's a McParts cap that will work, but why not just fix the
central locking?  Then there's no extra key to lose, and no extra
annoyances for you, the non-thief, when it comes time to fill up.

I have fixed the system on every one of our MB's that has it, because
it's so nice to have.

-- Jim