Yes there was MB recall on the transfer case. Check vin with stealer or
online. My 211-E320 4matic wasn't covered  for some odd reason but started
to do that. (Like the early 4WD Subarus) one dealer said replace case for 3
K. The good dealer in CT put in new bearing  & fluid for 300.00.  Important
to do figure 8's with new fluid to disperse throughout case.
Now with 183k miles no shudder &smooth turns. I love the 4matic.

Dwight Giles Jr.
Wickford RI