Well that's how I got it off, but the new one comes with a nut on both ends, and the ball is really tight in the socket, making it very hard to turn. Not sure how it would go on there very easily. That's what made me think there was a loose nut on the bracket, behind that brake shield. It feels like it is a nut because it is not lined up with the hole in the bracket now that the link is off, but I can only feel it through the hole as the sheild shields it (i guess it is a stab link nut and brake shield).

--R