On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 13:35:29 -0400
Allan Streib via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> There was early reporting on this out of Wuhan. I recall stories of
> illegal/non-code sewage hookups or modifications in many apartments of
> those who were sick.
>
> If true, masks are useless. Studies showing that masks help prevent
> spread may be conflating correlation with causation. Maybe people who
> are diligent about wearing masks are also diligent in their personal
> hygiene generally. Most of the mask studies I've seen are also in
> health-care environments, which cooincidentally emphasize frequent
> hand-washing and other hygiene practices.
>
> We're seeing a spike in restaurant worker infections here, and they
> all wear masks since the reopening started.
>
> Allan
Cloth masks aren’t the same as surgical masks or N95 respirator masks, which
are used by medical workers at high risk for being exposed to the coronavirus.
Cloth masks may not prevent you from inhaling any particles that carry the
coronavirus. But that doesn’t mean it’s not worth wearing one.

Aaron Hamilton, MD, sets the record straight on some common misunderstandings
about masks.
Myth #1: Wearing a cloth mask is no use.

Wearing a homemade cloth face mask is an easy way you can help protect others
in your family and community.

The 2019 novel coronavirus is thought to mainly be spread through viral
droplets that come out of people’s nose or mouth when they cough, sneeze or
talk. Cloth masks act as a physical barrier to keep large droplets from spewing
out into the air, where someone else could breathe them in and become infected.

Studies have demonstrated that cloth masks reduce the number of microorganisms
that someone releases into the air. So the more people wear masks in an area,
the fewer potential viral droplets go into the space, and the less risk that
someone will be exposed to the virus.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-myths-about-coronavirus-and-face-masks-debunked/

My guess would be that restaurant workers wearing cloth masks catch Covid-19
from customers.
Gerry