> > Andrew wrote:

> > Britain's next fighter jet could be powered by batteries

> Craig wrote:
>
> Wars are not won with fads.

Well, they might be, but it's a risky gamble....

My first thought was "Jet?  Electric?  Huh???"  Ducted fan - yes.
Jet - I don't see how it could possibly be.

By strict definition, a jet's thrust is from jet propulsion.  I am
not aware of any method of using electricity to generate jet
propulsion.

That said, most subsonic "jet" aircraft engines are turbofans and
generate most of their thrust from the bypass fans driven by a
turbine rather than from jet propulsion - thus making it more of a
ducted fan than a jet.

For supersonic flight, a jet is more effective.  And generally a
fighter is required to achieve speeds greater than Mach 2.

And that's just the engine - ignoring the problem of batteries,
weight, and refueling.