The ones I’ve been in are fairly dull. Irma was probably the worst, maybe 75
mph winds. I’ve probably been in at least five if not more, in the early oughts
(2003? 2005?) we had three of them pass us in short order, like within a few
weeks. I live in a newer area with well constructed homes and underground
utilities, so even in storms like Irma we never lost power (or cable.)

The worst thing about living in Florida is not the hurricanes. It’s the week or
so before the hurricanes.

For those of you living in more temperate areas, think about it this way:

When inclement weather is coming, say, a snowstorm or blizzard, you’ll know it
a couple days in advance. Two days out and you’re cleaning out the shelves at
the local Stop ’n Shop for toilet paper, bread and milk. You have a day or two
in order to prepare, the storm comes, you hunker down, it’s gone, all done. Go
shovel the front walk and driveway and you’re done.

In Florida and elsewhere, as soon as a “tropical wave” is identified in the
Atlantic, the fun begins. If you’re lucky, it’s clear from the get-go there’s
no threat and you go about your business. If you look at the latest one, you’ll
see that we knew something was brewing last week. Where was it going? Who
knows? Now that it’s a couple days out it’s *pretty* clear we won’t be
disturbed by it at all. However, we’ve been on pins and needles for the last
week wondering if it’s going to hit us. We’re still not out of danger, as
things can change and change quickly, so there’s a lot of glancing over your
shoulder, so to speak. For instance, Irma was bearing down directly on us and
in less than four hours before it arrived it moved a couple of degrees and
ended up missing us by about 50 miles.

In other words, we get a good week of stress before things really ramp up, and
when they do it’s all hands on deck and man the battle stations. Storm prep
takes a good day to complete, and if you need food or materials you’ll be
fighting a good part of the population for it.

The stress leading up to the (potential) storm sucks. The storms themselves
aren’t that bad. Just a lot of wind and rain. If your home is modern and you’re
prepared it’s not that big of a deal.

And lucky me - my 24kW Kohler standby set is being commissioned on Saturday
morning. I’m sure that’s what caused the current storm to move away from us.

-D