> Mitch wrote:

> On Fri, July 31, 2020 1:36 pm, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
> > When the big blow hit the Carolinas in the 90s, the name which
> > escapes me, we were in Wisconsin prepping to ship stuff down
> > there after it cleared and had a TV on in the break room.
> > National TV news came up with a picture of a service van with
> > a Chyron about price gouging.
>

> Chyron?

Brand name of a text over video processor (character generator).
Any informational text/graphic, especially "lower third" (on the
bottom 1/3 of the screen) can be called  Chyron, even if it wasn't
created by a Chyron.

> Anyway, let's assume you have 40 units in stock and 400 people
> want them, right now, today. What's the best way to allocate
> them?

Preventing "price gouging" is just interfering with true free
market.

> 3. Raise the price until only 40 people need them that badly.

This is free market.

"But it favors the rich!!!!"

Yup.  And motivates those without money to get involved in the
market because there is a good opportunity and they might have
more.  The poor will always be with us, and still poor no matter
what is given to them.