> Maybe you can tell me why my Mac occasionally wakes from sleep and the
> machine’s monitor won’t come alive but the external monitor does. I have to
> reboot it(unplug it plug back in) and it will work ok again for some random
> number of sleep wakes.

Every once in awhile my main 30" monitor turns off, though the secondary
monitor is
fine, as is the computer.  I just power-cycle the monitor (via its side power
switch) a time
or two and it's back in the saddle.  Never understood it, but that's what you
get sometimes
when buying used gear.  It did it with both computers, I don't think they're at
fault.

The weird thing I get is that the 2,1 unit awakened nearly instantly.  Always
did.  Ready
to work within a second of sitting down, guaranteed, and much faster at
awakening than
our newest 2018 laptop.  This 4/5,1 unit is extraordinarily slow to awaken,
taking nearly
a minute sometimes.  Tres irritating.

I have an older Macbook Pro that has become unreliable at sleep/wake.  Basically
you can't trust it, because it will crash while sleeping and halfway wake up,
with the
CPU burning power and getting very hot.  The fans end up on full, etc.  I think
it's
solder joints on the GPU failing, that series is very prone to that.  Only cure
is to
fix the solder joints.  As these are BGA packages, you can't do this without
special
equipment.  I've baked the life back into one of these using the oven.  I've
also
slaughtered one the same way.  (Full disassembly is required, you bake ONLY
the CPU board, all soft plastic removed.)  I've opted on this one simply to not
use
sleep.  It has an SSD, so booting from scratch for every session is fairly
quick.
These problems usually get progressively worse until the machine is no longer
usable at all.  Thermal cycling is the driver behind the failure mode.

This problem is why my son's 'new' Macbook Pro, the one he's taking to college,
is the mid-2012 13" model, said model being one that does NOT have an auxiliary
GPU.  Said model thus being notoriously reliable in consequence, though not
favored
by gamers.  (It's also the last model Apple made that can have both RAM and disk
upgraded, which I have done.  It's also the oldest Catalina-capable laptop.)
If he
wants to play games at college, he can buy his own damned machine.  And good
luck to you, sonny.  The college career of gamers is usually short and
undistinguished.

I don't know enough about your machine to make any kind of guess. iMac?  Laptop?

-- Jim