> OK wrote:

> Hmm, corroded fitting? Make it smooth with emery cloth, or clean
> and fill till smooth with epoxy?

I have filled pits many times.  Clean with Hydrocloric (muriatic)
acid, then use JBWeld (slow, not fast cure) and work it into all
the pits making sure that all the low spots are filled.  To tall
can be removed later.

I save the stick and mixing "plate" to monitor the cure without
disturbing the real repair.  I like using flat sections of clear
plastic packaging as the mixing plate.  Once the JBWeld is set
firm, but ideally before it is fully cured is when I like to use a
knife to remove the major extras.  Once fully cured, I use a file
and/or sandpaper to make it smooth.