The T Mobile home internet router arrived yesterday.  It is basically simple router with 2 ports, has a port for WAN and a port for PHONE.  The WAN and PHONE ports had plugs in them and are not used.  Also includes a 2.4 and a 5 ghz wifi bands.  It then has an internal "cell phone" for LTE signal and even has a battery in case the power goes out, the router will still run.

I currently have 2 routers at the house, one in my office which was at the point where the network cable came in for the internet.  The other one is in the living room so its wifi coverage would better reach the back of the house where the kid is located with his XBox.  I had to refresh my memory on networking basics as it has been a while since I set one up.

I really wanted to just use the T Mobile as a modem and run everything thru the main router in my office.  I don't think that is possible so I had to set the T Mobile router as the gateway and DHCP server with 192.168.1.1 as its address.  set its range of address to something like .25-.254. I then plugged in both of the other 2 routers into the 2 ports on the T Mobile router.  I sent the router in my office to 192.168.1.2 with its DHCP turned off, its default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and DNS server is also 192.168.1.1.  Same for the second router except I set its address to 192.168.1.3.  Network is now humming along just fine.

As far as speeds go, I am testing at around 18-20Mbps, sometimes hitting up to 30 or so.  Not quite in town LTE speeds but what I usually get out in the sticks.  Last night the kid was on his Xbox, while we were steaming Netflix and I ran several speed tests while this was going on.  It would usually run around 10-12Mbps but would sometimes hit up close to 18.  The kid who always complained about the old internet was happy.  When starting a Netflix show it figured up almost instantly instead of having to load.

The old WISP internet was supposed to be 12Mbps for which I was paying $99 per month usually actually ran at around 4-6.  Would sometimes hit close to 12 but not very often.  Many times I would only get 1-3 Mbps out of it, especially when the kid was on his XBox.  Supposedly there are no data caps and I asked them if they slows down the data after you pass a certain point.  This said since this was a limited amount of people they were allowing on the service it would not be slowed down.  I am skeptical so I will probably keep the old service active for a month to see how this works out.  Last night after about 7pm till now we have already used 15.7GB of data.