I join you in the single stage paint group.
Clear coat paint, two stages, is designed to fail.  The clear coat allows
UV light to pass through to the base coat, the UV light then reflects,
[bounces] back off the base coat and tries to escape the clear coat,
except, the back surface of the clear coat acts as a one way mirror which
then reflects the light back to the base coat... The UV light bounces back
and forth between the top surface of the base coat and the back surface of
the clear coat, which sets up something like a small microwave oven between
the two layers, which destroys the bond between the two coats.
Once the bond is eroded, the light bounce continues and literally "cooks
the rather fragile clear coat film."

With ambient sunlight heating, and the loss of layer bond, the rate of
expansion between the base coat and  the clear coat is now different, which
further breaks the surface of the clear coat.

Bad system, unless you scrap the new car you bought long before it's paid
for. IMHO...
Some day, a really smart fellow will devise a tool or system that causes
the remaining clear coat to slough off on demand, so the base coat can be
prepped and recoated... sanding off clear coat and saving the base coat is
a labor intensive project that paint shops charge big bucks to do...
poorly.

There needs to be "The Earl Scheib" of clear coat repair that has equipment
that removes it quickly.