AGM=Absorbed Glass Matt.  Instead of plates immersed in liquid sulfuric acid,
AGM plates are separated by fiberglass mats that are saturated (like a sponge)
with a thickened electrolyte that stays in place (doesn't run off).  These
batteries can usually be mounted in any orientation.  They are semi-sealed so
they don't leak acid and they are valve regulated to limit internal pressure.
They try to contain most of generated H2 and O2 and recombine back into water
inside the battery.  Optima gel batteries are similar but are spiral wound
which limits battery dimensions (must be six cylinders).

Functionally, AGM batteries can deliver higher current, charge faster, tolerate
deep discharge better, and self-discharge slower (compared to comparable
flooded batteries). The Car Quest AGM battery in my tractor survived 13-14
years after it went dead several times.

The problem is that new batteries can be very different from batteries made
5-15 years.  Most "brands" periodically contract out to one of about five
companies that actually make batteries, and even then they build to several
specification levels.

Flooded batteries can gave good service if properly maintained, which is rare,
so they usually have shorter life.  So AGM is should be  superior in actual use
but it is possible to make poor AGM batteries just like poor regular batteries.

Scott