Randy - good point, what's been done in the past is the "teams" that make
these runs will add extra fuel tanks to the trunk to increase range, and at
fuel stops they simultaneously fill all the tanks.  I think they set up
electric transfer pumps to move fuel from the added tanks to the original
fuel tank while driving.  One reason that the Mercedes high-end cars are
favored (other than safety, comfort, and high speed) is the self-leveling
suspension which can handle the increased weight of the fuel and not
compromise handling / braking too much.

Check out youtube university for additional content.
Max
Charleston SC