I've had 2x 190D 2.2l. I've never heard of a 2.4l W201 which doesn't mean they
don't exist but I've never heard of one. I remember Marshall had a grey market
2.0l.
The 5spd 1985 that I had would average 38mpg with 43 being the highest I ever
got, I had to work at it to get there but I guessed that 45mpg might be
possible but you'd want to be somewhere pretty flat and you'd have to go pretty
slow.

The '84 auto box averaged more like 36, I think I might have gotten it to nudge
40mpg once. I disliked that car, the 2.2l really wants a manual transmission.
The market for these has crashed terribly, I paid just under $3k for my first
one in 2005 and it was the cheapest one I could find. The second came with a
"broken timing chain" for $250. It really had a broken timing chain cover and
turned out to be a reasonable investment but not a fun car to drive.
-Curt

    On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 5:39:22 PM EDT, Max Dillon via Mercedes