Vast majority of hard cider/ sparkling cider and what is sold as grape "champagne" is wine carbonated like soda water.  (Artificial carbonation = large bubbles))

Real cider (As the English call it) is naturally carbonated in the champagne process, (A second fermentation in the bottle) (Natural carbonation = tiny bubbles, as in Don Ho)

My apple champagne is apple wine subjected to the champagne process. (second fermentation in the bottle)  With live yeast.  No sulfites added to kill the yeast.   It has about 15 atm pressure in the bottle.  That means VERY tiny bubbles.   No commercial bubbly has pressure that high.   It has to be chilled to 22-25ºF before opening to tame it enough so that it does not blow to the ceiling when uncapped.

I was fortunate enough to get a private tour of the facility that makes one of the largest/oldest brands of hard cider.   They make wine from chinee apple juice concentrate (no extra charge for formaldehyde) and water.  Then they run it through a carbonator and bottle it like pop. Yuk!

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 11, 2020 at 5:21 PM
Apple champagne or sparkling cider? What's the diff?

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 8:01 AM Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes <