Oldest boy was driving the Focus home tonight. Temperature got hot. He
continued to drive. Temperature got hotter. He stopped and put what
water he had in the reservoir (maybe a quart). He noted steam escaping
from the left hand side of the engine. He got back in and drove home.

I go out to try to refill the coolant, and now it's just pouring out
around the flange of the thermostat housing.

I swear I eyeballed the reservoir tank when I replaced the alternator a
few weeks ago and it was fine.

Hoping it's just a failed gasket. The zetec engine supposedly has some
protection that will shut down cylinders to pump air through the engine
if it's getting too hot. Hopefully that still works.

I was rebuilding engines at age 16. This kid hardly understands how an
engine works and doesn't seem interested to learn. Which is fine, not
everyone is into that stuff, but it's a little weird how different he
and I are.

Allan