-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of archer
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:51 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Differential noise and leaking boot

Thanks, Meade.  It sounds like my best bet is a good used half axle with

good boots from Kaleb or Potomac.  When I turn the right rear wheel
there
isn't any play between the "cans" and the axle shaft or the drive shaft.

I wonder if the differential type hum I hear could be coming from the
driveshaft carrier bearing or the transmission (which is the original
with
250,000 miles on it.)?
I just changed the ATF fluid and filter, and there was no metal in the
transmission pan.

I'll check the spider joint by weaving on the road before ordering
anything.

Gerry Archer
'83 300D and 240D