Dillon, Meade LCDR wrote:
Dieselvolk,

Anyone know if this technique of flushing is approved for our cars?

NO, it's NOT approved and is unwise UNLESS you want to try it before replacing a transmission that is failing (it MIGHT flush out something that's causing a problem, but that's unlikely). But the Mercedes transmission is designed so that the crud does usually end up in the pan and the filter catches it before it's recirculated back thru the transmission. The primary purpose of the flush devices was to allow a complete fluid change (both sump and torque converter) in transmissions that were NOT designed for complete oil removal. I've read the promotional and sales pitches as well as "white papers" on the methodology from several sources. It is a satisfactory technique for most older American cars (I have seen no papers less than 10 years old) but may not be worth the added cost over conventional routine regular transmission service. At least one study purported to show that on some transmissions, the flush service was INFERIOR.

Mercedes included a torque converter drain. The flush was designed so the pan didn't need to come off - the device was hooked up, the flush performed and the device disconnected. Very quick and a money maker for the shop - UNLESS they also needed to remove the pan afterward to change the filter (which would be necessary in a Mercedes transmission) and then refill the transmission - most shops would do that.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)