I wonder why they dont just go run on the salt, where there is official
timing equipment set up and no one can dispute their obviously fake video
on top gear or wherever.

In sailing, there is a whole speed record council set up. You have to hire
an official observer to come out and watch the attempt. The gps has to be
according to specification etc. The guys who did that ddwfttw propeller
sail cart Blackbird and the vestas sailrocket guys both have good vids on
their record attempts.