First time I saw one of these gatherings was at the railroad museum in
Sacramento, CA. I was out there for business and had brought the family to
enjoy an extended weekend. We were looking for something to do and saw there
was some sort of big event at the museum, so we went there for the day. They
had the guys with a large scale steam powered trains you could ride on and a
whole bunch of old farm engines.

Growing up in Indiana and working on farms I had heard of these and even seen a
few tucked away in barns and sheds, but never seen one run. The “hit or miss”
engines were really pretty amazing to me, with their large flywheels and low
speeds. Watching these guys set these things up with the massive belts to run
equipment was really a treat.

I would like to go to one of these gatherings again, it was pretty cool. I
belong to a vintage generator forum that also has areas for vintage engines,
too. I rarely look at the other stuff, but it’s pretty cool.

-D