I never finished the thread.

Changed the trans filter and fluid. I cut the ferrules of the old hoses and a FLAPS had bulk hose, so I put new hose on the fittings and buttoned er up. Took it out for a little test drive. The TE drives GREAT! Feels really tight. I could see the tie rods had been replaced fairly recently, so there is at least one thing i don't have to do to this car! Finished up a few other little things. I have deemed it roadworthy at last. Turned on the AC, and nothing cold. next project..... I think it is still R-12. So i need to find a source for freeze 12 or similar concoction.

The TD is almost done. Anybody interested in a decent rust free TE? If so, send me an email off list. Not sure if SWMBO wants to keep it once the TD is back.

Loren
88 TE

At 10:38 AM 5/10/2006, you wrote:
Loren Faeth wrote:
> [...]
> routing.  But thanks to quick responses I got it all together tonight
> except the last AT hose.  It broke!
>
> SO, I am going to replace the AT hoses and change the trans fluid and
> filter.  Waiting again....
>
> BTW: my solution to getting the back 2 bolts in: I put a layer of masking
> tape around the 3/8 drive universal joint.  then by using a 6" and 3"
> extension on the top back bolt, I got it in.  For the Bottom back bolt, I
> used the universal with tape, and the 12" extension.  The intake manifold
> and the big AC hose go right where you need to work.  It was not near as
> bad as I thought it would be.  The tape was the trick.
>
> I think Herr Frederick's 6 hours was about right for me too.  It'll go
> faster next time, if I can remember what I did this time.
>
> Herr Kahn,  I am not sure about the life of the waterpump on a 103.  I
> believe that the one I replaced was not original.  So, in roughly 200K,
> this car is on the third pump.  My experience, with M180 and diesels is
> that an MB pump will last 100 to 200k miles, with the mean being somewhere
> around 150k.  Third party replacement pumps are usually good for 30k to
> 100k.  In this case, what I believe was the second pump probably got rusty
> because the car sat for a year or possibly more. Perhaps other M103 owners
> can relate their experiences.  I have only put about 250 miles on this
> one.  Every time I try to drive it something breaks or I find something
> else unreliable.  I think when i get the AT hoses, it will be good to
> go.  Sure does drive nice with new hydraulic parts and new tires!
>
> Loren
> 88 TE
> 87 TD, soon to be on the road again!
> et al.
> 124 wagons are sure good (sport) driving machines! (guessing sedans are too)
> 126 SDLs are wonderful longhaul road machines
> 123s are fun, and decent road machines
> 110s are fun and great road machines! (Not too shabby for sport driving as
> long as you don't push them too hard)
> (sorry, only drove a 115 diesel once.  No opinion here)
>
> At 09:27 PM 5/9/2006, you wrote:
>> Loren Faeth wrote:
>>> I had a little time this afternoon, So I tried putting the waterpump
>>> on.  Did ok.  Maybe a little over an hour to get the front end of the
>>> engine back together.  Passed leak test....
>>>
>>> Here is the problem:  I can't remember the serp belt routing.  I know I
>> saw
>>> it on a job on the cd but it was illegible. Does anyone have a picture of >>> a good diagram from job 1350 or 1351? I can't get either of those to come
>>> up on braingears.
>> Try this!
>>
>> Marshall
>> --
>>           Marshall Booth (who doesn't respond to unsigned questions)
>>        "der Dieseling Doktor" [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> '87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84

As I recall, factory time for the job (experienced mechanic that's done
the job before) is 4+ hours. A really good  mechanic can better that by
an hour or so if NOTHING goes wrong. Most mechanics (even very good
ones) take 6 hours or more the first time.

Marshall