Soapy water for lube.  Works like a charm, can almost slide it on by hand.

On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:21:01 -0500, andrew strasfogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I felt like a real champion when I discovered how easy it was to mount
the rubber strip on the rear bumper of my son's 1985 300D.  Just whack
it with a mallet the length of the rubber and the strip pops into
place on the steel flange of the bumper.

On my late111 coupe, however, I had no such luck and had to
laboriously lube and thread the rubber the length of the bumper.  When
I tried to bash it into place it just made the car vibrate and had no
effect.  Is there a shortcut?  Both the 123 and 111 or 108/109 rubber
strips are similar in that they are designed to inerlock with the
steel part of the bumper...

1983 300TD
1970 280SE 3.5 W111

--