On 2020-12-02 22:26, ned kleinhenz via Mercedes wrote:
Probably a decade or two ago I met a Hummer dealer at a social event in
western Pennsylvania.  I think his customer base was the strip mining
industry.  He was amazed that he was starting to get a few suburbanite
customers who wanted them for street use. He described the cost to buy, operate and maintain the Hummer of those days as astronomical for highway
use.  The vehicles were not particularly comfortable or convenient for
highway voyages.  And the size and capabilities of his Hummers were not
appropriate for on-road use.

But, Ahnold drives one in Beverly Hills, so I gotta keep up appearances...

Only H1 owner I knew was an ER doc in DA UP.
I don't know if it was military or consumer model.
Had a Suburban 4x4 for everyday driving, H1 was only for when the Doc must get through, and the 4x4 Chevy couldn't hack it.