My first car was a 1951 beetle, deluxe version (aluminum trim and hydraulic
brakes. My second car was another '51 VW, standard version with cable
operated brakes. I maintained Mom's 1958 Deluxe bus, the one with all the
windows. It had the 1200cc engine and she hated it because it was so slow.
Dad bought a new 1965 beetle. I later bought a wrecked 1974 or 78 bus with
the FI 2000cc engine, repaired it and drove it for several years until I
got tired of the cold and my wife never did learn to drive the stick shift.
I rebuilt a couple of my engines, which led to a job while in college doing
the VW engine work for a local foreign car garage.
I now work on and with aircraft air cooled engines.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 9:44 AM Max Dillon via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Yes, fun picture!
>
> Wonder how many of us have air cooled engine experience?  I've driven and
> worked on 63 beetle,  71 or so super beetle, 66 van, and a 69 wagon.  Only
> had one engine blow up and shove a valve out of the head.  Rebuilt one
> engine.
>
> Max Dillon
> Charleston SC
>

> Dec 5, 2020 5:48:57 PM Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>:

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!